Sunday, January 6, 2013

A 10th Anniversary look on a geeky phone's life

As a 2014 will be my tenth anniversary that I officially entered the consumerist way and then evolve to a everyday-need from a simple Cell Phone to become a master at Smartphone.

Time does flies and also tech evolve in a great velocity, I can still remember my little adventure to the mobile world which 15 years ago was a luxury, nowadays is part of every people life including, consumer, professional, etc.

As I am about to go 10 years old, I want to make a quick recount on how was my "mobile life".
(Warning: Timeline may not be 100% accurate!)


  1. Samsung SPH-A680 (Sprint/2004)

  2. Yes, I started this new life with Sprint as the company was a top of his game before the AT&T got a second air with the acquisition of Cingular Wireless and I got some family members already at Sprint so I did a try as those were the Nirvana days of my credit score....

    By the time, this phone was the shit for entry level phone, one of the very few that included video capacity on a cellular, which was "new" at the time.

    Spec:
    • 128X160 Resolution
    • CDMA
    • 0.3 MP Camera
    • GPS (but active with a Sprint paid service)
    Unfortunately, did not last most of a year since I was beginning to see the limitations of the phone actually.






  3. Sanyo SPC-2400 (Sprint/2005)

  4. Sprint was beginning to filling my balls but I heard some cool aspect about Sanyo's adventure at the mobile world and I was to make a decision to when I decided to hear an actual owner's point of view and I did play with the phone before buying it.

    Despite Sprint coverage does suck outside metropolitan area of Puerto Rico, the truth is that the phone capabilities at the time was flawless.

    Unfortunately by the end of 2005 I decided to make an hiatus on cellphones since I decided to focus on working on the university and at the time it was not ad immediate necessity although is true that I was completely upset with Sprint.

    This would be my last time as a Sprint costumer (And no plan on be again as of 2013 and foreseeable future).

    Spec:
    • 128X160 Resolution
    • CDMA

    So sad that Sanyo had a great reputation but keep limited on Sprint.







  5. Novatell Wirelles Merlin C201 Laptop Card (Sprint/early 2005)

  6. This were some of the troubles I had with Sprint and I felt like a guinea pig with this service as of early 2005, Sprint was entering to the world of mobile internet access through cellphone sites signals.

    The service didn't only sucked, but Sprint never acknowledged the offer I had that was completely unlimited....My first bill was just $235 in over usage of data....

    Needless to say that I used the Satisfaction Guarantee and withdrew the service in 3 months.





  7. Kyocera Slider Remix KX5 (Open Mobile/Summer 2007)

  8. Being witness of the fall of Movistar Puerto Rico and the rise of a regional provider know today as Open Mobile I found my inch on returning to mobile life and what a way to do it with this phone.

    Does who know me now as a tech geek would not believe when I said that when Motorola Razr was on the peak of popularity, I choose this little bastard as my need for phone was not as demanding as nowadays.

    I was amazed how a Puerto Rican infrastructure (not stereotyping BTW) can be better of an american on (*cough*Sprint*cough*) comparison and had better coverage.

    The fact that I could play music (new shit for me at the time) made it a wise and economical decision.

    Spec:
    • 176X220 Resolution
    • CDMA
    • MicroSD Slot
    • 16MB of internal memory
    • 1x Data connection
    • 1MP Camera







  9. Motorola Razr V3m (Centennial/Spring 2008)

  10. Centennial have a rough 2007 with the entrance of Open Mobile whom business model make the company to make a few of choices that quite frankly boosted their costumer but not in a cost-effective way AND HELL YEAH I did took advantage of it!

    Motorola was the shit on his year in telecommunications but the new millennium make the brand to struggle a little bit but all that finished when an icon was in the making with the Razor series were born.

    These bastard could withstand anything, I was happy with mine and was the best year of my mobile life pre-Smartphone.

    Spec:
    • 176X220 Resolution
    • CDMA
    • MicroSD Slot
    • 30MB of internal memory
    • 1x Data connection
    • GPS
    • 1.5 MP Camera

    Needles to say, this will be my last cellphone in this story as my adventure on Smartphone begins next.






  11. Motorola Q (Centennial/Late 2008)

  12. Although my last adventure in the life of Centennial, was the born of my mobile life with a Smartphone.

    I initially believed Smartphone was only for a corprate guy, but after sqeezing all posibilities, definitely Smartphones was for anybody who used it seriously.

    Little did I know that Moto Q was Motorola answer to the popular BlackBerry Smartphones.

    Spec:
    • 320X240 LCD Resolution
    • CDMA
    • Windows Mobile 5
    • MicroSD Slot
    • 64MB of internal memory
    • 1x Data connection
    • 1.5 MP Camera

    Needles to say, this will be my last cellphone in this story as my adventure on Smartphone begins next.






  13. Centennial Mobile Modem (Centennial/Spring 2008)

  14. Not being to specific here (no picture also).

    A mobile internet service that just a 3 month to finish the contract, Centennial didn't want really to grant my unlimited access, but I forced them to value our contract, needles to say it was a strange move that just because I didn't want to renew with them, they told me I had to return the modem.

    To this day I have not being refunded the cost of the modem...






  15. BlackBerry Curve 8330 (Centennial/Late 2008-Early 2009)

  16. O hell I was so upset that my Moto Q was stolen that I really didn't have a choice to renew a contract with Centennial but unexpectedly, I was granted of what I call a real update and here began the born of my passion for BlackBerry.

    I was no stranger of BlackBerry but never did actually owned one as I believe were to far on my foreseeable imagination.

    For a brand new OS at the time really blew all my specification and with the growing interest on social network with me, it was an obvious choice.

    I love the BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) environment which enable me sync all my online live (email, service, etc.) it was fascinating that I vowed that whenever I can, my mobile life was just only for BlackBerry.

    Spec:
    • 320X240 LCD Resolution
    • CDMA
    • BlackBerry OS 4.5
    • GPS
    • MicroSD Slot
    • 96MB of internal memory
    • 1x/EvDOData connection
    • 2.5 MP Camera

    The right Smartphone at the right time.






  17. T-Mobile Tap (Huawei creation) (T-Mobile/Spring 2009)

  18. This is kinda a awful down grade, but I was really needed free myself from Centennial and unfortunately I lost track on Open Mobile was doing at the time, so quite frankly didn't though of a choice.

    But one day a friend of mine working at a T-Mobile authorized dealer manage to get me a full approval meanwhile he was getting me a BlackBerry.

    I am not going to be a hypocrite  the phone wasn't the shit, but I was not unhappy either, for a Java based, propitiatory OS, the phone worked quite well.

    Even survived the "boom" people complaining that the fucker died on them.

    Spec:
    • 240X320 LCD Resolution
    • GSM
    • BlackBerry OS 4.5
    • GPS (Trhough Telenav service only)
    • MicroSD Slot
    • 156MB of internal memory
    • 2G - EDGE Data connection
    • 2 MP Camera

    Just a brief pause on Smartphones...






  19. BlackBerry Curve 8520 (T-Mobile/Fall 2009)

  20. Unfortunately, my friend at the dealer didn't return on time for the BlackBerry as his parent company of his T-Mobile dealer didn't arrange a agreement with the rented spot of the Supermarket I was working so I was forced to do something that T-Mobile should not haven't retired (or maybe dudes like me makes look like loss) and was via early upgrade with monthly payment option on the bill.

    The BlackBerry Curve 8520 wasn't as the same feeling as the 8330 and for some reason I fell an feeling that this phone was in purposely made look inferior.

    But nevertheless the BlackBerry OS 5 was just in time to dissipated that feeling.

    Spec:
    • 320X240 LCD Resolution
    • GSM
    • 512Mhz Processor
    • BlackBerry OS 4.5 upgradeable to OS 5
    • Wi-Fi
    • MicroSD Slot
    • 133MB of internal memory
    • 2G - EDGEData connection
    • 2.5 MP Camera


    NOTE: AT SUMMER 2009 I DID HAVE THE BLACKBERRY STORM 9350 VIA EBAY, BUT WAS ONLY FOR A WEEK BEFORE I RETURN IT THAT'S WHY I JUST MADE THE MENTION BUT NOT FOCUS OWN HOW THE WEEK WENT....AND BTW FOR THE CURIOUS, IT WAS NOT THE PHONE, BUT THE LACK OF PROPER FREQUENCY OF PUERTO RICO'S CELLPHONE PROVIDER, NEVER GOT A 3G ENABLED PHONE GO BEYOND 2G, THAT WAS ALL.






  21. BlackBerry Torch 9800 (AT&T/Fall 2010)

  22. Nowadays hypocritically, people talk shit about this, but the BlackBerry Torch 9800 was one of the most anticipated BlackBerry at his time eclipsing the success of the Bold (Originally it was though that it was part of the Bold series due to the same QWERTY keyboard design), the first real touchscreen (Not SurePress technology as know for the Storm series) Slider with a Physical QWERTY keyboard.

    I really didn't mind the Android uprising actually beginning at 2008, I was happy as hell with BlackBerry to even defend on was know today as RIM decline (2008-2012).

    The BlackBerry Torch 9800 really re-ignited the passion I felt with the Curve 8330.

    It was frustrating that the first week, the Torch was all sell out on at least 3 AT&T stores, luckily the most unconvinced location at the Roosevelt Ave at San Juan branch of AT&T was at my side, due to the fact that I was one of the last few units left, (yes, I fell like a iOS fanboy, but to my advantage, didn't have to be 12 hour awaken in front of the store).

    This is the best definitely.

    Spec:
    • 480X360 HGVA Resolution
    • GSM
    • 624Mhz Processor
    • 512MB RAM
    • BlackBerry OS 6
    • Wi-Fi
    • GPS
    • MicroSD Slot
    • 4GB of internal memory
    • 3G - HSPA Data connection
    • 5 MP Camera




  23. BlackBerry Torch 9810 (AT&T/Fall 2011)

  24. At the same case as the Motorola Q and a ungrateful coincidence at the year anniversay of acquiring the Torch 9800, one bastard decided to stole it from me at a office that I worked temporarily (Thanks goodness I am no longer working there).

    But for my surprise, when I used the insurance for the phone (and not asking really) I was amazed that AT&T "automatically" upgraded me with the refresh of the Torch with BlackBerry Torch 9810.

    BlackBerry OS 7 marked the difference and many believe that the 9810 SHOULD have being the original Torch, I kinda agree with that, just look at the specs.

    Spec:
    • 480X360 HGVA Resolution
    • GSM
    • 1.2GHz Single core Processor
    • 768MB RAM
    • BlackBerry OS 7
    • Wi-Fi
    • GPS
    • MicroSD Slot
    • 8GB of internal memory
    • 4G - HSPA+ Data connection
    • 5 MP with HD recording Camera





  25. HTC Vivid (AT&T/Spring 2012)

  26. I was surprised and shocked to see RIM declining at it did and quite frankly the company didn't respond in a proper time with the quick change of trending in consumer demand on mobile technology and my time for an upgrade leaved me with no choice but to move one and not be stall with the current line of BlackBerry by then.

    So I welcomed Android to my life.

    Actually I already tried Android on at least two different forms, which include a OS Linux-based for PC and a Tablet.

    But not only this market my "official" full-time debut, but also I had the opportunity on trying the new industrial standard for 4G technology know as LTE.

    The phone worked well under Gingerbread (Android 2.3) but EVEN BETTER on Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0). It is a shame that purposely AT&T and HTC agreed to have a "update" that added a technicality that Vivid was "not suitable by HTC politics" on being considered for a Jelly Bean (Android 4.1) upgrade.

    Spec:
    • 540X960 LCD Resolution
    • GSM
    • 1.2 GHz Dual Core Processor
    • 1GB RAM
    • Android 2.3 - Gingerbread (upgradeable to Android 4.0 - Ice Cream Sandwich)
    • Wi-Fi
    • GPS
    • MicroSD Slot
    • 16GB of internal memory
    • 4G - LTE Data connection
    • 8 MP Camera
    • 1.3 MP Front Camera




  27. Samsung Galaxy S III i535 (Open Mobile/Winter 2012)

  28. And as of writing of this, my current chapter and with a little sense of supporting local business, I decided to lend my HTC Vivid to my mother (as she needed to replace her old Claro phone) and decided to return to Open Mobile in a moment where Open Mobile began to go toe-to-toe in terms of 4G LTE against AT&T.

    The Samsung Galaxy SIII definitely is the phone of 2012, so to the point that Open Mobile when in a risky move to try to have the phone ready for Christmas season and it is rumored that the cost was high for a company which it's business model doesn't count phone sale as a high revenue.

    Quite frankly my current Android life just got better, everything for a need and to make people clearly see that fucking isn't everything and yes, another brand can make quality things too.

    Spec:
    • 720X1280 Super AMOLED Resolution
    • CDMA
    • 1.5 GHz Dual Core Processor
    • 2GB RAM
    • Android 4.0 - Ice Cream Sandwich (upgrade to Android 4.1 - pending as of writting of this)
    • Wi-Fi
    • GPS
    • MicroSD Slot
    • 16GB of internal memory
    • 4G - LTE Data connection
    • 8 MP Back Camera
    • 1.3 MP Front Camera


A possible Chapter 15 can be with this...


Hoping that Open Mobile adopt by mid 2013 or as late as Fall 2013, this new adventure and a second breath seeker by Research In Motion is the so-called Series L of BlackBerry 10 in which BlackBerry wants to make a return.

A possible set of spec include:

  • Full-Touch Screen.
  •  4G LTE. 
  • BlackBerry 10. 
  • HD Screen of 4.2". 
  • Procesador Dual Core 1.5 de Texas Instrument or QualcommSnapdragon de Qualcomm (depending market). 
  • 8MP Back Camera with 1080p HD recording. 
  • 2MP Frontal Camera. 
  • Wi-Fi. 
  • 16GB. 
  • 1GB RAM (It is rumored that some market will be at 2GB RAM). 
  • GPS. 
  • NFC. 
  • Accelerometer 
  • Gyroscope. 
  • Facial Detector.
Could this be a new dawn for BlackBerry?
Only time will tell.

Now come on, you are cracking up on a guy that in a 10 year life had 15 devices, how about you tell me your story?!

iPhone Slave?! Mobile Elitist?!? Bored with your entry-level STILL?!?!?

0 comments:

Post a Comment